1ST BELGIAN ARMOURED CAR SQUADRON
1941 - 1944
THE 1ST BELGIAN ARMOURED CAR REGIMENT
1944 - 1946
The 1st Belgian Armoured Car Squadron is created at Great Malvern, Great Britain, on June 12 1941.
material they received at the beginning was obsolete,
the whole squadron started their training with enthousiasm.
On March 1 1942, the 1st Belgian Armoured Car Squadron receives the Standard of the 1st Chasseurs-on-Horse.
This Standard was smuggled out of occupied Belgium.
On September 9 1942 the squadron comes under the operational command of the 49th (West Riding) Division.
Belgian Armoured Car Squadron is integrated into
the 1st Belgian Independant Brigade on January 21 1943.
continues its training, and in April 1943 they receive new
18 Humber Mk4 armoured cars.
|Unicode used by the 1st Belgian Armored Squadron on the last exercise before the campaign in Normandy, France.|
On August 8 1944 the 1st Belgian Armoured Squadron lands in Normandy, France.
opens the way for the 1st Belgian Independant Brigade,
but after a few days it is attached to the 6th British Airborne Division.
France , end of August 1944.
Elements of the squadron on a recce mission in Normandy.
France, September 2 1944.
On September 2 1944, the whole 1st Belgian Independant Brigade is attached to the Guards Division.
later, on Seprember 4 1944 the 1st Belgian Armoured Squadron
together with the other units of the brigade.
September 6 1944.
SSM DE POTTER of the 1st Belgian Armoured Squadron.
After a few
days rest in Brussels the squadron continues its campaign in
and the South of the Netherlands, where they reach Thorn.
The squadron is removed from the front on November 17 1944.
On December 16 1944 the squadron is reorganised and becomes the 1st Belgian Armoured Car Regiment.
Warvolunteers are integrated, and the regiment starts its training in Belgium and the North of France.
On February 1
1945 the regiment is withdrawn from the 1st Infantry Brigade
and comes directly under the command of the C in C of the Belgian Army.
The 1st Belgian Armoured Car Regiment enters occupied Germany on June 2 1945.
Line-up of the regiment somewhere in occupied Germany
Heek, occupied Germany, September 1945.
On December 14 1945 the regiment returns to Belgium.
The 1st Belgian Armoured Car Regiment becomes the 1st Guides Regiment on March 8 1946.
Captain DE WALCKIERS from the start until February 28 1943
Major DE SELLIERS DE MORANVILLE from February 28 1943 until January 29 1945
Colonel CUVELIER from January 29 1945 until March 8 1946
|Major DE SELLIERS DE MORANVILLE||Lieutenant-Colonel CUVELIER|
FORMATION BADGES AND INSIGNIA
OF THE 1ST ARMOURED CAR SQUADRON / REGIMENT